Kennel Club Good Citizen Classes
For any age of dog. These are progressive training classes for those who have previously completed basic training, each session lasting approximately one hour. These classes run on Monday evenings at 6:30pm at St Ambrose Hall in Leyland, PR25 4XA.
If you have a dog that hasn't completed any group training sessions before, we are more than happy to arrange a 1-2-1 training session to bring you up to speed so that you can attend the KC group classes.
For your dog to be able to attend these classes they must be able to settle in a group environment and be able to focus on their owner when carrying out practical exercises.
These classes allow us to improve on the basic skills learnt during foundation-level training, allowing you to teach your dog even more important and valuable life skills to develop their focus, confidence and manners even further.
The classes run in 5-week blocks, working towards the Kennel Club Good Citizen Dog Scheme Awards at Bronze, Silver and Gold levels. You can attend for as many blocks as you wish. Official Kennel Club GCDS assessments for the awards are run periodically but it is not mandatory to complete the assessments if you do not wish to.
What will you learn during the classes?
- Settle training around distractions
- Building focus around distractions whilst stationary and on the move
- Progressive loose lead walking skills
- Off-lead heelwork
- Progressive sit stay training; building duration, distance and distractions
- Down stay training
- Controlled greetings amongst other dogs and strangers
- Progressive recall around distractions
- Taking loose lead walking out in public
- Control through doorways
- Sending the dog to bed
- Emergency stop command
- Control in and out of vehicles
- Food manners
- Progressing handling; grooming and examination by strangers
- Building the bond between dog and owner through play