Online Puppy Foundation Course
Given the current situation with Covid-19, all group training is currently suspended until further notice. As such, we have reinstated our Online Puppy Foundation Course so that people can continue to train their puppies during their all-important early development from the comfort and safety of their own homes. Now is the time to train young puppies before bad habits creep in! Don't understimate the value of starting training early.
This course is for puppies aged under 6 months at the start of the course. This is a 6-week progressive course, taking place via a private Facebook group giving you unlimited access to step-by-step written training exercises, group discussions and around 30 video demos. If you aren't a Facebook user, information and videos can be sent via e-mail.
We will still cover the same topics that we would cover in a group training class; the only difference is that you won't be seeing the instructor in person - however Emma will still be on hand to assist you with your learning journey.
Our priority is to ensure that your puppies are still receiving the high standard of training that we normally deliver, and that your puppies are being equipped with the skills that they need to set them off on the right path through life.
Each week we cover new topics which are supported by a full set of electronic training notes (detailing the exercises in a step by step format) and around 25 video demos to assist those who prefer to watch demonstrations take place practically. You then have the opportunity to upload your own videos in response for feedback and/or assistance.
We also schedule weekly Zoom sessions which you can attend if you wish. During these sessions we educate you in detail about important topics related to puppy training and new puppy ownership, and you have the option to ask questions at the end of the session specific to your puppy to gain assistance with any of the topics you are struggling with.
Puppies will graduate at the end of the 6 week course providing you can demonstrate that your puppy has the basic understanding of our core training exercises via video upload (using your phone is fine). They will receive a rosette and certificate when they graduate!
But what about Socialisation?
Many people choose to sign up to group training classes because they want to socialise their puppies while they are young. However, letting your puppy greet every dog that they see is actually detrimental to their development - which is why puppies very quickly start dragging their owners about on lead, wanting to dive and jump on every approaching dog. Teaching skills for adult life (e.g. just watching other dogs walk by without getting excited) is actually just as important.
So, although you won't be greeting other puppies directly through our online training, you will be set homework so that you can work on the all-important skills that your puppy needs to develop whilst out and about - despite us not being able to have direct physical contact with others!
Also, socialisation isn't just about greeting lots of dogs - it is much more complex than that! We will set homework for people covering many different aspects of socialisation to ensure that your puppy isn't lacking in any area of their development - there is plenty you can do at home!!
What will you learn during this course?
You will teach your puppy all the essential life skills to give them the best start possible in life:
- How dogs learn; their learning stages and how to efficiently teach them
- How to stop undesired behaviours from developing
- Building focus and connection with your dog
- How to work with what motivates your dog
- Clicker training; what is it and how do we use it to train a dog?
- Early socialisation; the do’s and don’ts
- Teaching your dog to pay attention to you
- Teaching your dog to sit, stand and lie down on command
- Teaching your dog to settle and be calm
- An introduction to walking nicely on the lead
- How to train a successful recall; techniques, do's and don'ts
- Tug games and the drop command
- An introduction to the leave command
- Foundation level stay training
- Handling, health checks and grooming
- Food manners; stopping your dog snatching food from your hand
- How to manage mouthing/biting and chewing
- How to be a responsible dog owner; dog law and dog owner etiquette
What will I need for the training?
- Lots of very small training treats
- A clicker (not mandatory although beneficial)
- A mat with a non-slip rubber back - something around the size of a bathmat
- A treat pouch (optional) - having quick easy access to the treats can be beneficial
- A favourite toy or two for your puppy
- Collar/harness and fixed length lead
- Your puppy!!
The cost of the Online Puppy Foundation Course is £75. You have an additional 6 weeks' access to the private Facebook group after you have completed the initial 6-week training period too. If you would like to join us, CONTACT US and we can get you enrolled!